Table Of Contents
- What Is alg.exe?
- Common Errors
- Is alg.exe A Virus?
- How To Fix alg.exe Errors
- Forum Feedback
If you happen to experience losing your internet connection while in the middle of browsing trending cat videos and you can’t seem to reconnect, there may be a chance that there is a problem with your PC’s alg.exe.
Alg.exe stands for Application Layer Gateway Service which is an executable file that is not always immediately visible but still a reliable file from Microsoft.
This software is the one responsible for using ports secure a link from the internet or a LAN.
Despite the problems which are probably linked to alg.exe, this is not a virus. For a safe internet connection, this software may sometimes work with ad blocker—another executable file.
Because most executable files are everywhere, they are sometimes used as a means of delivery for a malware infection or a virus.
What Is alg.exe?
Alg.exe is one of the core process and components of Microsoft Windows. While Microsoft Windows serves as the operating system, the Application Level Gateway is the window process files that allow Internet Connection Sharing and third-party plug-ins.
Alg.exe was produced to give support to a specific third party plug-in that authorizes access to network protocols through the Internet Connection Sharing features and Windows Firewall.
The plug-ins that are supported by the device is capable of opening ports and altering data that are accessible in packets such as the IP address and ports. Furthermore, alg.exe is created to assist an active file transfer sessions via the Network address translation engine made by Windows.
- “Faulting Application Path: alg.exe.”
- “Alg.exe is not a valid Win32 application.”
- “Alg.exe Application Error.”
- “Alg.exe not found.”
- “Alg.exe is not running.”
- “Alg.exe failed.”
- “Alg.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
- “Error starting program: alg.exe.”
- “Cannot find alg.exe.”
Is alg.exe A Virus?
The true alg.exe is not a virus. However, creators of malware programs like worms, Trojans, and viruses give the same file name to their process to deliberately avoid detection. Alg.exe file that is not located in C:\Windows\System32 will have the following security rating:
- The security rating for the alg.exe file is 30% dangerous if it is seen in the “C:\Program Files\Common Files” folder. There are eight file size variants ranging from 33,205 bytes to 33,792 bytes and has a visible window. It will also start as soon as the Windows starts.
- The security rating for alg.exe is 36% dangerous if the file is located in the C:\ and the file size is 40,167 bytes.
- The security rating for alg.exe is 53% dangerous if the file is seen in a subfolder located in the user’s profile folder with a file size ranging from 128,512 bytes to 963,286 bytes.
- The security rating for alg.exe is 56% dangerous if the file is seen in a subfolder of C:\Windows. The file size ranges from 40,962 bytes to 7,105,992 bytes. The file is also not a Window System file, and there is no available file information. The same security rating is also seen to an alg.exe file placed in a subfolder of “C:\Program Files” with file size 128,512 bytes.
- The security rating for the alg.exe file is 64% dangerous if it is found in a subfolder of C:\ with a file size of 184,832 bytes.
- The security rating for alg.exe is 84% dangerous if it is found in the C:\Windows folder with a file size ranging from 15,872 bytes to 4,543,488 bytes.
How To Fix alg.exe Errors
1st Fix (Check Authenticity)
Since the alg.exe is part of Microsoft Windows, the first fix is to check the authenticity of the alg.exe file currently present in your computer.
Remember that the alg.exe file is located on the C:\Windows\System32, otherwise the file is suspicious. Here are the steps to do the search:
- Go to the Start button and click Search
- Choose the All Files and Folders
- Type the words exe
- Select the Local Hard Drives from the list
- Choose the More Advanced options and click on the checkboxes Search hidden files and folders, Search Subfolders and Search system folders.
- Lastly, click search.
After doing this and you find out that there is numerous alg.exe file on your computer, check where they are located and eventually remove the files that are not in the correct location for an alg.exe file.
Video Tutorial: How To Check File Process Authenticity
2nd Fix (Anti-Spyware)
Alg.exe is not dangerous if it is authentic. If the alg.exe file on your computer is spyware or a virus, you can always remove it just by downloading trustworthy anti-spyware.
However, you can fully avoid having an encounter with any errors by running a full system scan on your computer regularly to keep it away from being infected with viruses and others.
Also, you have to make sure that the Anti-spyware and Anti-virus of your device are always up-to-date.
3rd Fix (Windows Updates)
Microsoft continually updates their system files to improve them.
- Click the Start button.
- On the search box, type “update.”
- You will see the Windows Update dialog box. Click Install Updates button if available.
We browsed a bunch of different forums researching some common issues related to alg.exe (the Application Layer Gateway Service), including exploits, its files missing, listening concerns, privilege escalation, and generally what the process is and why is it running.
Over on Neuber, One person had some trouble with it, complaining that an error occurs when this process is running whenever he tries to close Windows Explorer or shut down Internet Explorer.
A technically Savvy user explained that this particular is service is designed to help support third-party protocol plugins for the Internet Connection Firewall as well as the Internet Connection Sharing application.
However, one person claimed that it is a known Trojan and spyware virus that is capable of reconfiguring your registry – this was posted by a virus Tech.
XP Firewall Issues
A Windows XP user says that if you initiate the native personal firewall, this process will begin running.
Susceptible To Hacks?
Another person suspected that it is behind some internet connection difficulties he was experiencing.
Historically, he’s always deactivated it from within task manager, but after discovering that it is a Windows internal process, he is less suspicious of it. On the other hand, he says that it could potentially be that this particular .exe file is prone to hacks and infections.
Safe To Disable?
Another computer user said that this is not a dangerous file process. He says that if you are using a third-party firewall and you aren’t doing any shared networking, it is safe to disable. On the other hand, if you are sharing your personal computer resources, it’s likely that you rely on this process.
A certified networking professional said that the service can easily be disabled in the Services MMC Without disrupting your internet connection.
Another user said that if you aren’t playing around with a Windows run firewall, or using the Multilingual User Interface, you can easily deactivate the entire service package under: “controlpanel/admistrative tools/services”windowsfirewall/ICS”.
On the other hand, if you are employing the native Windows Firewall technology or using your personal computer as an internet gateway for other computers, you’ll want to leave it on. However, he says that it could potentially get corrupted- though he hasn’t seen this occur.
Malware Author Use
Another person said that in his experience malware authors have used this file’s name before to cloak their malicious actions. He says that he used firewall logs to track back two other computer operating systems with non-system32 directories alg.exe’s running.
Though alg.exe is a safe file, the virus or malware with the same file name can be a threat to your PC.
When the files are unexpectedly become corrupted, there is a chance that some malicious files are disguised as one of the secured and known system files.
When this thing occurs, detecting and removing the suspicious file may prove to be a difficult task. It’s best that you perform the abovementioned fixes when you encounter a problem.