Table Of Contents
Errors that are related to d3dx9_42.dll are, in most cases, a result of issues with Microsoft DirectX. This is because the d3dx9_42.dll is among the many files that make up the software collection of DirectX.
DirectX is used by programs with advanced graphics such as games based on Windows operating systems. This causes d3dx9_42.dll issues to show up when running such programs.
As you can see below, lots of people have issues with this file- over 660 people reported difficulties with it:
In addition, errors that are related to d3dx9_42.dll may also arise due to different reasons which include:
- A faulty application
- A d3dx9_42.dll file which may have been misplaced or deleted
- Malicious software which might have corrupted the d3dx9_42.dll on a computer
- Using a damaged or corrupted registry
There are several ways that d3dx9_42.dll can be seen on a computer. It becomes possible when using these programs or even when installing them. The following are the d3dx9_42.dll error messages that you may see on your PC:
- “A problem has occurred when starting d3dx9_42.dll. The specific module cannot be found.”
- “Error loading d3dx9_42.dll. The specified module could not be found.“
- “D3dx9_42.dll either contains an error or is not designed to work on Windows.”
Other kinds of error messages that may appear on your screen are as follows:
- “D3dx9_42.dll not found.”
- “The d3dx9_42.dll file is missing.”
- “D3dx9_42.dll access violation.”
- “Cannot register D3dx9_42.dll.”
- “Cannot find D3dx9_42.dll.”
- “The application cannot start because D3dx9_42.dll is not available. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
What is the D3dx9_42.dll File?
Just like any DLL file, the d3dx9.dll file contains multiple codes and procedures that are required to run certain programs. It’s one of the many components of the DirectX application. As such, if it’s gone missing or corrupted, it will cause programs that rely on DirectX to malfunction.
Errors related to the d3dx9_42.dll file occur when a computer game is started. In some cases, it could even apply to other programs which use Microsoft DirectX such as Autodesk’s Maya and others. Some of the video games known to experience d3dx9_42.dll problems include the following:
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V
- State of Decay
- The Lord of the Rings Online
- Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2011
- The Legend of Pirates Online
- F1 2010,” “Street Fighter
- Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood
Quick Video Fix For Missing D3dx9_42.dll Files
How to Fix D3dx9_42.dll-Related Issues
If you’re feeling tired of interruptions caused by a recurring d3dx9_42.dll error, then you can use the following fixes to resolve the problem and go back to running your favorite programs once again.
1st Fix: Restart Your Computer
Since the d3dx9_42.dll error may be just a fluke like many issues that affect computers, it’s advised to try a basic fix first before you proceed to the more technical ones. A simple restart may clear up the problem completely. However, if this won’t fix the problem, you need to try the other fixes.
2nd Fix: Install A New Version of Microsoft DirectX
There are lots of times where Microsoft released DirectX updates without even updating the version letter or number. As such, you need to ensure you install the latest release regardless of whether your DirectX version is the same. There are chances that when you upgrade to the latest DirectX version, the d3dx9_42.dll error may be fixed not found anymore.
A similar DirectX program installation works with all versions of Windows operating systems. Any missing DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and so on will be replaced.
To install a new DirectX version, Lifewire has given us a few easy-to-follow steps:
- Go to Microsoft’s DirectX download page which can be found here.
- Choose your preferred language then click the red Download button.
- After successfully downloading the installer, proceed to install it. Make sure you follow the step-by-step directions specified on the installer.
- Once it’s done, simply restart your computer.
- Check to see if this helped solve the issue.
Video Guide: Fix All Directx Error How to Download & Install All DirectX
3rd Fix: Reinstall Your Application
Another alternative solution to resolve the error is to reinstall your application where the error message appeared. For example, if your game won’t run because of the d3dx9_d2.dll error, it is suggested to reinstall it instead. This is because its installation files may contain the right version of the dll file.
This fix which is given by Driver Easy includes the following steps:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing both the Windows key and R at the same time.
- In the search bar, type appwiz.cpl then hit Enter or click OK.
- Look for the program where you experienced the error then click Uninstall. Click Yes to confirm it.
- Wait for the process to complete. Restart your computer afterward.
- If you still have the installer, simply install the program from scratch. However, if you have already deleted the installer, you can just download it from its original source instead.
- After a successful installation, run the program to see if the error still persists.
If you’re still experiencing the same error, kindly proceed to the next solution.
4th Fix: Update Your Graphics Driver
In some cases, the error can be caused by either a missing, faulty, or outdated graphics driver. Therefore, it’s only ideal to make sure its always updated to its latest version. This fix which is suggested by AusLogics can be done by following these steps:
- Open your Device Manager. Simply press Windows key and X at once then look for Device Manager on the menu.
- In the Device Manager window, look for Display Adapters, click the drop-down arrow, and click your current driver.
- Right click it then choose Properties.
- Go to the Details tab, click the drop-down menu, then look for Hardware Ids. Copy the very first value then paste it on your browser. This will let you know the exact name of your device.
- After that, simply look for the manufacturer’s official website to download the appropriate driver which is compatible with your system.
- Download it then install after the process. Restart your computer and check if the issue’s still there.
Video Guide: How To Update Your Graphics Card Driver In Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP
To understand better the d3dx9_42.dll process and its purpose and functions, we search through tech forums (this one and this one). In general, people were interested in d3dx9_43.dll free download, d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer, d3dx9_43.dll download Windows 7/10. They also were looking for solutions to d3dx9_43.dll was not found.
An individual mentioned that he couldn’t launch Civilization V because he got an error message saying that d3dx9_42.dll was missing. The user followed the instructions to reinstall the game and start it again, but it didn’t work. He added that he did it twice and when he couldn’t launch the game after restarting the computer several times, he contacted game support, which wasn’t very helpful.
Another computer owner explained that d3dx9_42.dll was part of the DirectX package and that it was an essential file for all programs that required DirectX to run. He added that it was not a virus or malicious and that it wasn’t something you should delete or remove. The computer user also mentioned that d3dx9_42.dll errors were very common.
A poster reported that he continued to get the d3dx9_42.dll file error after he reinstalled the game and restarted his computer. For what he understood speaking to a computer expert, there was something wrong with the DirectX package. Most probably it was out of date or was lacking specific files. The solution was to install the latest version, which should take care of any missing files.
A person also said that he had problems with several games because he was constantly getting the message that d3dx9_42.dll was missing. He contacted Microsoft for help, and they provided him with a link to download the latest version of DirectX. Fortunately, it seemed to do the trick.
Another user also commented that d3dx9_42.dll was missing and that he was advised to uninstall DirectX and reinstall it anew. However, Microsoft support warned him that it wasn’t possible to uninstall DirectX completely and that he should update it to the latest version instead.
A person stated that he wanted to download the missing d3dx9_42.dll from a DLL site. However, he was warned that it wasn’t a good idea because most DLL download sites were actually malware. He said that if anyone had download a DLL file, he should remove it immediately and scan his system for viruses. The user stated that the only place you can get the d3dx9_42.dll file safely and without paying a cent is the official Microsoft page.
Another poster stated that he was also looking for a solution to the d3dx9_42.dll problem and that he searched through a lot of topics in the Microsoft forum. From what he could gather, the easiest way to solve this problem was to open the installation disc to view its folders. The computer user explains that the CD often contains a DirectX folder and that you can install DirectX directly from there. He also comments that sometimes the included version in the installation disc is a better fix than updating to the latest version.
Another individual says that updating the drivers for your video card might resolve the d3dx9_42.dll issue. He adds that it’s not the most common fix, but it worth trying it if you have already installed the latest version of DirectX and you still get the error message.
A forum member reports that you can get the d3dx9_42.dll error if any program which uses DirectX can’t find it, but most commonly, it affects video games. The computer user also mentions that what fixes the problem usually is uninstalling and reinstalling the affected game because something might have happened during installation process that corrupted the d3dx9_42.dll file.
Another computer user observed that he restored the d3dx9_42.dll file from the DirectX installation package and that it solved his issue. He mentioned that you could check what version of DirectX you’re using by typing dxdiag in Start menu search box.
A person complained that he got an error saying that d3dx9_42.dll was missing even though he had installed DirectX 11. Support recommended that he downloaded the latest version of DirectX9 because it was still required by some program to run properly. The user was wondering if he installed DirectX9 when he already had DirectX11, but support explained that installing DirectX9 would only add the missing files, without compromising DirectX11.
An individual commented that anyone who experienced problems with d3dx9_42.dll should download and run the DirectX End-User package.
In most cases, the solution to the d3dx9_42.dll error is to download and reinstall it properly on your PC. By doing this, you may solve any problems related to this file. Some programs such as games need the DLL file to be placed inside their installation folder.
You will find that a majority of Windows operating systems from Microsoft are affected by errors caused by the d3dx9_42.dll file. Hopefully, the fixes we’ve mentioned above can solve your issue easily.
Ryan is a computer enthusiast who has a knack for fixing difficult and technical software problems. Whether you’re having issues with Windows, Safari, Chrome or even an HP printer, Ryan helps out by figuring out easy solutions to common error codes.