Table Of Contents
There could be many different causes for this issue but the one that we are going to discuss today is the service host local system high disk usage and how to fix it.
If you get this error, please do not panic; as usual, there are ways to fix this issue.
This article is a tutorial geared to help users who experience this error fix the error once and for all.
Video Guide: Disabling Superfetch
Here’s a quick fix for you if want to disable it
Before we go into how you can go about fixing this error, there is some information that is important for you to know about. It is always a good idea to know as much a given problem before you go on and try to fix it.
In the case of the service host local system high disk usage this particularly important because you will have to run certain checks before you proceed with the steps to fix this error.
In this article, I will cover all the preliminary checks and all the steps you will need to follow in order to fix this issue.
Before We Begin…
If you are anything like me the first instinct whenever you get any kind of computer error is to fix it as quickly as possible. It is even tempting just to try different things out without checking any instructions of any kind.
Although I have often felt that same temptation, it is not something that I would recommend at all.
I do understand that making research before you stumble upon a way to really fix any error you have encountered can take a lot of time and error. Trust me, I know. But worry not, that is what Error Codes Pro is here for.
With this and all other errors I write about, I have done all the research so you don’t have to. All you have to do is go through this article and you should be able to fix the error yourself.
How should you approach this tutorial? This is totally up to you but I would strongly suggest that you read this article through once (even if you just scan through it) before you attempt to fix the error.
My suggestion is that you only attempt to fix the error after you have read through this article tutorial. Why? Because, apart from the preliminary checks that you will need to carry out before you can fix the error, you will need to make sure that you are in a position to fix the error. The last thing you want is to get through half the steps just to find out that you are not actually ready to finish the process successfully.
Check Your Drivers
So, before we can go anything further with fixing this error you should always check your drivers. It is likely that this error has been caused by the failure of one of your drivers.
How do you know if you this error has been caused by the failure of one your drivers? There is one way of writing this out, which is by making sure that your drivers are up-to-date.
If you do not know how to do this, do not worry. All you will have to do is to run a Driver tool.
There are many different tools available for free on the Internet. I will not recommend any specific tool but if you do not currently use one, you could head to Google search or any other search engine of your preference. Just search for a driver update tool online. Once you have downloaded and installed the tool, you should launch it and scan your drivers.
The tool will then scan all your drivers. Once your drivers have been scanned, you will be presented with a comprehensive list of all the drivers that need updates. If you have a Pro version of the tool, you will also be able to download and install all of the updates there and then.
If not, you would need to update each and every one of the updates yourself. This might take some time (depending, of course, on how many drivers actually need to be downloaded) but it is something you will need to do.
As a general rule, you should carry out driver updates frequently. This will avoid all kinds of different computer problems.
Once you have updated all the different drivers that need to be updated, you should check whether the service host local system high disk usage has been fixed or not.
If the problem persists, then at least you have ruled out this as the cause. If you fixed the problem, then congratulations to you. If not, you should continue with this article and follow the steps presented below.
3 Fixes For Service Host Superfetch Errors
Possible Fix Number One (Disabling It)
Once you have ruled out that the problem has nothing to do out-of-date drivers, you should disable Superfetch. This is because Superfecth has been singled out as one of the most likely causes for this problem. This is particularly likely if you use one of the following Windows operating systems:
If you do not know how to disable Superfetch, here is how:
- Grab your Windows computer.
- Then press the following two keys at the same time: the Windows Key and the X Key. This action will cause a menu to display on your screen.
- Once the menu displays, click on the following option: Command Prompt (Admin). You will then be prompted to accept the possibility of making changes.
- When you are asked the question “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?” click Yes. This action will then display a run box.
- Type the following command: “net.exe stop superfetch” [no quotation marks].
- Then press Enter.
- Next, you will need to wait for several minutes until you are able to see if the performance of your Windows computer improves.
is something extra that you could do if you would like to also check your disk. If that is the case you would need close all the application that you may have open and then repeat the first four steps that I have just gone through and then enter the following command: “chkdsk.exe /f /r” [no quotation marks]. Then, press Enter and type Y.
If this method does not do the trick for you, just proceed to the next method.
Possible Fix Number Two: (Windows Update Troubleshooting)
The next thing that you should do is trouble shoot Windows update. If you do not know how to do this, all you have to do follow these simple steps:
- Grab your Windows device.
- Then go to the Control Panel.
- Next head over to System and Security.
- Choose to view by Category (this is located on the top right-hand side of the Control Panel.
- Then, click on the following option: Security and Maintenance. This action will take you to a different window.
- Next, click on Troubleshooting.
- From among all the different options, click on the following option under System and Security: Fix problems with Windows Update.
- On the next screen, click on the Next button. You will then be presented with different options.
- Click on Try troubleshooting as an administrator.
Once you have followed these steps, check out if the problem has been resolved. If it has not then, do not worry; there is still one final method for you to check out.
Possible Fix Number Three (Disabling Other Services)
The final thing that you could try out would involve disabling a few services. This will help you to on the one hand locate the source of the problem and fix it once as for all.
Just follow these steps:
- Grab your Windows computer.
- Then right click on the task bar located on your desktop. This action will cause a menu to display.
- Click on the Task Manager option.
- Once your Task Manager displays on the screen.
- Expand the Service Host: Local System so you see what items are using more CPU.
- Once you have identified the items that are hogging your CPU, select it and then click on the End Task button located on the lower right-hand side corner of the Task Manager window.
- Repeat this with as many items as necessary. As you continue to do this keep an eye on the CPU usage. Once you have identified the item that is causing the problem, right click on it and select the Open Services option.
- Then go through the services on Task Manager until you find the service with the same name and right click on it.
- Then click on Stop.
Once you have found the service that is causing the problem, then double click on it, expand the Startup menu and click on Disabled. Then, click on the Apply button and the OK button.
This has been Fix For Service Host Local System High Disk Usage. If you have any feedback on this articles, please leave us a message in the comments section below!