Table Of Contents
- How To Remove AVG From Windows
- Windows AVG Removal (Video Guide)
- How To Remove AVG From Macintosh
- Mac AVG Removal (Video Guide)
If you’re trying to uninstall AVG AntiVirus and are experiencing some difficulty doing so- the best solution is to use AVG’s removal resources located here.
(If you’re a Mac user, check out these instructions). Their remover tool will completely purge AVG installation from your personal computer.
This will include all installation files, user files, registry items. They do say that, generally, your computer’s native uninstall tools accessed through your Control Panel should do the job.
You should only use their AVG removal tools if the removal process has repeatedly failed.
Below we walk you through how to remove AVG from different Windows Operating Systems.
How To Remove AVG From Windows
They also have a useful support article detailing how to remove AVG AntiVirus Free, AVG AntiVirus, AVG Internet Security or AVG PC TuneUp from your PC from Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10. These steps don’t apply to AVG Internet Security – Unlimited, AVG TuneUp – Unlimited or AVG Ultimate. There’s a separate support resource for that.
Follow the 2 steps below first and then navigate to the step-by-step guide for your particular operating system below.
We’ve also assembled a solution for Macintosh users at the bottom of the page.
Restart Your Computer
Reboot your computer and sign in to Windows as a user with administrative access/
You’ll want to reboot your personal computer to make certain that there aren’t any AVG updates or tests working in the background.
Following your restart, make sure you sign in to Windows as a user with administrative rights.
Use Control Panel To Uninstall
2. Next, Uninstall AVG using your Windows Control PanelRefer to the instructions for your version of Windows to uninstall AVG:
Windows 10 AVG Removal
- Within the system search field, enter Control Panel and select Control Panel from the list.
- Head to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Right-click AVG in the list of programs and choose Uninstall to open up the AVG uninstallation wizard. Note: For those computer users who have other versions of AVG installed on your PC (e.g. AVG Protection, AVG PC TuneUP), remove them first.
- Refer to the instructions on your screen to finish the uninstallation.
- Reboot your PC.
Windows 8 AVG Removal
- Press the Win key and X key at the same time and then choose Programs and Features from the menu that pops up.
- Right-click AVG in the list of programs and then choose Uninstall to start the AVG uninstallation wizard. Note: For those who have other versions of AVG set up on your PC (e.g. AVG Protection, AVG PC TuneUP), remove them first.
- Refer to the instructions on your screen to finish the removal.
- Reboot your PC.
Windows XP, Vista and 7 AVG Removal
- Select the Windows Start button and choose Control Panel. Note: If the Control Panel choice is unavailable within the Start menu, simply click Settings first.
- Select Programs and Features or Add or Remove Programs.
- Right-click AVG within the list of programs and choose Uninstall to start the AVG uninstallation wizard. Note: For those who have additional versions of AVG set up on your computer (e.g. AVG Protection, AVG PC TuneUP), remove all of them first.
- Refer to the instructions on your own screen to finish the uninstallation.
- Reboot your laptop or computer.
Use The AVG Remover Tool (If all else fails)
If the uninstallation fails, AVG recommends you should employ the AVG Remover tool.
If the uninstallation was not successful, make use of the AVG Remover tool. Make sure you back up all your open work because your personal computer is going to be re-booted in the process:
- Download the tool (link)
- Run the AVG Removal Tool
- Once you’re running the utility, choose the AVG product you want to remove and then click Remove.
- Select Restart.
- If the Open File – Security Warning dialog popup shows up following your reboot, simply click Run to finish the uninstallation.
- If asked, reboot your computer once more.Note: Once the uninstallation process is finished, navigate to your C:\ drive, and then delete the AVG_Remover folder manually.
Windows AVG Removal (Video Guide)
In this video tutorial, the YouTuber shows you how to force remove AVG from your laptop or computer- because occasionally the standard uninstall doesn’t always work.
Indeed, we’ve seen a lot of search volume around user complaints like “AVG won’t uninstall”, “cannot uninstall AVG” or “how to get rid of AVG”.
So there’s definitely a contingent of computer users who want to remove this sometimes invasive anti-virus and are having trouble doing it.
Anyway- once you’ve downloaded the removal tool, and run it, he says that you may need to have patience because it might look like it’s not doing anything.
It might cause your computer to restart several times and when you sign back into your desktop it might request you to run again. So you just press “Yes” and just go through the process and it will eventually fully remove AVG from your computer.
How To Remove AVG From Macintosh
To un-install AVG AntiVirus for Mac, there’s a full support page. AVG notes that dragging the AVG AntiVirus for Mac icon into Trash will not remove the application correctly.
- Open up AVG AntiVirus for Mac and then click AVG AntiVirus on the menu bar. And then choose Uninstall AVG AntiVirus.
- Select Uninstall.
- Type in your system password and then click OK.
- The uninstallation should be finished.
If that fails:
If you’re not able to remove your AVG product by using the steps above, AVG recommends:
- Select “Go” on the menu bar and choose Utilities from the list.
- Select Terminal.
- Type in the following command on the command-line and select “Return” for it to be executed:
Select Uninstall and continue with the screen instructions.
Mac AVG Removal (Video Guide)
The video creator says, like the AVG instructions do, that Mac’s “Move to Trash” option actually won’t help to remove AVG AntiVirus for Mac.
This video explains why and offers some proven solutions to purge the antivirus from your Apple computer.
So if you’re having trouble uninstalling AVG, getting errors or failures, the solutions on this page should help you find a fix.
Ryan is a computer enthusiast who has a knack for fixing difficult and technical software problems. Whether you’re having issues with Windows, Safari, Chrome or even an HP printer, Ryan helps out by figuring out easy solutions to common error codes.