Table Of Contents
If you’re looking to remove Skype for Business, we’ve compiled some solutions below.
We’ve included both Windows and Mac guidelines- scroll down for both.
We first defer to Office Support’s guidelines, which we’ve summarized below. But we listed some extra ones that we found from around the internet.
It’s important to note that if you’re using Office 365 Skype for Business, it isn’t possible to uninstall it from your computer without also removing the rest of the Microsoft Office suite.
4 Ways To Remove Skype For Business
Office Support Removal Recommendation
First Step: Prevent Skype for Business from starting up automatically
- In Skype for Business, select the tools icon and navigate to Tools > Options.
- Select Personal, then un-select Automatically start the app when I log on to Windows and Start the app in the foreground.
- Then select OK.
- Select File and then choose Exit.
Second Step: Get rid of Skype for Business from your personal computer.
Microsoft says that if you use Office 365 Skype for Business, it’s not possible to remove it from your personal computer without also removing the rest of the Microsoft Office suite.
This is due to the fact that it’s incorporated with the other Office apps. The subsequent guidelines are suitable for customers who’ve standalone versions of Skype for Business.
- Head to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall or change a program.
- Choose Skype for Business and select Uninstall. (If you do not see Skype for Business shown, then you are utilizing a version that’s integrated with other Office 365 apps. The only method to un-install it is to get rid of all of Office from your computer.)
- Within the Control Panel, select Uninstall Programs, after that pick Skype for Business
- At the Ready to Uninstall? prompt select Uninstall.
- When it is done uninstalling itself, select Close.
Video Walk-Through: How to Uninstall or Remove Skype for Business in Windows 8 / Windows 10
How To Remove Skype For Business On Macs
Microsoft Support has an article that articulates how to do a ‘clean’ uninstallation of Microsoft Skype for Business on Mac.
To completely un-install Skype for Business on a Macintosh co, use the steps below:
- Get on your personal computer through the use of administrative credentials.
- Exit Skype For Business on Mac in the event that it’s operating.
- Drag the Skype For Business on Mac program to the Trash.
- Get rid of the existing Skype preferences if these hidden files exist.
To get this done, use these steps:
- In the Finder menu, click on Go, and click on Go to Folder.Delete the subsequent files:/Users/<User>/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness/Users/<User>/Library/Logs/LwaTracing/Users/<User>/Saved Application State/com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness.savedState/Users/<User>/Preferences/com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness.plistErase the following file:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/MeetingJoinPlugin.plugin
- Within the Applications/Utilities folder, open up Keychain Access.
- Inside your logon keychains, erase Skype for Business.
Registry Removal Option
If the above instructions aren’t effective for you, then an alternative choice is to disable it in your registry.
You’ll be erasing any Skype records from the Registry- but be careful: major issues may happen if you change the Registry improperly, so be sure you follow these steps from Microsoft meticulously.
To be safe, it’s wise to back up your Registry prior to making any modifications.
For guidelines, check this out in the Microsoft support community.
- Select the Windows and R keys simultaneously, then type in regedit in the Run dialog and click on OK.
- The Registry Editor should be on screen.
- Click Edit > and then Find.
- Type Skype into the Find box and click on Find Next.
- Use right-click to delete all the search listings (Microsoft reports that there can be up to 50 of them).
NOTE: Employing Registry Editor improperly may cause major issues that might require you to reinstall your operating-system.
Microsoft says it cannot ensure that difficulties resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Make use of Registry Edit at your own discretion.
An Experts Exchange Hack
A blogger over at Experts Exchange was having a difficult time removing it- he listed out a bunch of things he tried, including:
- Modifying the startup setting in the Skype for Business application options,
- Removing Skype for Business from the Office installation,
- Completely removing Microsoft Office 2016 Pro plus as well as Skype for Business,
- And disabling Skype for Business from the Microsoft Windows startup list within Windows Task manager.
The fix that worked requires downloading the Office 2016 Deployment Tool and modifying a configuration.xml file.
Check out the step by step guide for this fix over on Experts Exchange- it’s the 5th one.
How To Do A Silent Uninstall
Silent uninstalls, or quiet uninstalls, are usually carried out to make the uninstall process simpler and require less attention from the end user.
One Skype user said that you can follow Microsoft Technet instructions to conduct a Skype for Business silent uninstall. Specifically, they say that you’ll need to run Setup to remove the desired software from the user’s personal computer.
You’ll have to determine the value of [ProductID] in the Setup.xml file for the software product you’re looking to remove.