Table Of Contents
System errors with a weird combination of letters for a name do not always mean danger.
This is true for trkwks.dll. However, there might be errors that you will experience if you do not run the system properly. Among these many errors are:
- Program can’t start because trkwks.dll is missing
- trkwks.dll not found
- trkwks.dll is loading
- Cannot find C:\Windows\System32\\trkwks.dll
- trkwks.dll Acess Violation
- trkwks.dll crash
- Cannot register trkwks.dll
Luckily, there are quick fixes you can apply to solve these problems. But before you learn them, you must start by understanding what trkwks is and why it may be causing problems.
What Is trkwks?
Trkwks.dll is a shortcut for Distributed Link Tracking on Workplace Systems Client. It is a Microsoft Windows System service that is found in C:\Windows\System32.
The files you will find in this folder are essentially processes that are used to run a program properly. That includes playing music and printing a file among other tasks.
Most of these files have a .dll extension which stands for dynamic link library. They contain code and data so that multiple applications can share the same functionality such as, say, printing a file.
Trkwks.dll maintains links between NTFS files within a computer or across computers in a network.
It is a tracking service, which means that it keeps track of the links to the files saved on a server. That said, it is safe to disable this service when you are working on a home computer.
What Causes trkwks Errors
Improperly shutting down your computer is a usual cause of corrupt trkwks.dll.
This may be caused by a moved or leftover DLL file as a result of an incomplete software installation or uninstallation. Other possible causes include:
- Hardware failure such as a bad hard drive
- The required version got overwritten by a program
- Malicious or mistaken deletion of the trkwks.dll file by a program
Be warned that there is a malware that disguises itself as trkwks only that they do not reside in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
You may have gotten it from downloading trkwks from “DLL Download” sites of unofficial developers. The genuine trkwks.dll is from Microsoft Corporation. It is thus necessary to check the trkwks process in your computer.
The Security Task Manager, among other tools, can help you. This software has been identified as one of the Top Download Picks for PC security scans.
3 Fixes For trkwks Errors
If you are working on a Home computer and you are not on a domain with distributed links and NTFS file system, you can safely disable the trkwks service.
Here’s how to disable any service in Windows 7 or later Windows operating systems.
Quick Video Fix
In the video below, the tech vlogger shows you ‘How to Start or Stop Distributed Link Tracking Client in Windows 10 Pro’. He uses a Dell Inspiron 14 3000 Series in the video tutorial:
1st Fix (Scan & Repair)
The quickest way to resolve this error is to use a DLLKit that will scan for invalid or missing .dll files and repair them. To resolve trkwks.dll errors on your computer, follow these steps:
- Install DLLKit. Make sure that you are downloading the version that is compatible with your Windows operating system.
- Once installed, click on the app and let it scan for .dll errors and other system issues.
- Click the “fix issues” button to have them repaired.
You can also use WinThruster, a software developed by a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner.
2nd Fix (Re-Register)
If you encountered the error “trkwks.dll not registered,” that means the software you are trying to install has problems registering the .dll file for you. To fix this, manually re-register trkwks.dll:
- Click the Start button.
- On the search box, type cmd or Command and you will find Command Prompt as a top result. Do not hit enter just yet.
- Hold CTRL-Shift buttons and press Enter.
- A dialog box will appear with this question: Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Click YES.
- On the command prompt, type the following command: regsvr32 /u trkwks.dll
- Hit Enter. This command un-registers your trkwks.dll file.
- To re-register, type the following command regsvr32 /i trkwks.dll and hit Enter.
- Close the command prompt window.
- You may need to reboot to realize these changes.
3rd Fix (Cleanmgr)
If you think that you’ve downloaded a malicious malware instead of a genuine trkwks.dll, then you need to clean your Windows quickly.
- Perform a disk cleanup. Run the cleanmgr.
- Run a scan with the System File Checker.
- Uninstall unnecessary programs.
- Make sure that the necessary Windows updates are installed automatically.
Errors related to trkwks.dll are not really dangerous, but they can be annoying. If you keep your hard drive clean from malware and unnecessary programs, such errors can be prevented. Also, make sure your downloads are genuine and safe.
If, after doing all three fixes above, you are still experiencing trkwks.exe errors, then the problems might be hardware related. In this case, you need to remove or replace the hardware that is causing the error.
The computer process that is known as Distributed Link Tracking Client is associated with the Microsoft Windows Operating System or Distributed Link Tracking Client (TrkWks) or Distributed Link Tracking Client (trkwks) by Microsoft.
According to File.net,Trkwks.dll isn’t required for the Windows OS and results in a comparatively small amount of problems. The file trkwks.dll is found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. The most known file sizes on Windows 10/8/7/XP are 90,112 bytes, 90,624 bytes, 88,064 bytes or 75,264 bytes.
This service may be started or stopped from Services in your Control Panel. The file is a Microsoft signed file. The software doesn’t have a visible window. It’s not a Windows system file. Which means the technical security rating, according to File.net, is 1% dangerous.
File.net says that because a number of malware programs conceal themselves as trkwks.dll, especially when it’s not found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Consequently, you should examine the trkwks.dll process on your personal computer to find out if it is a risk.